24 August 2012

Africa Here I Come...Premium Economy


I was in luck at Sydney airport and scored the nice check in person, who didn't ping me a fine for being overweight... baggage that is!

The person at the check in beside me was not so lucky, she got the check in Nazi who even weighed her carry on bags and the lecture she was dishing out was still going on as I drifted off to the gates.

The flight from Sydney to Johannesburg is 14 hours and Louise and I have always done it crammed into cattle class, which is not that pleasant. However, this trip we both had lots of frequent flyer points saved up so we cashed them in on Premium Economy. Now to those of you fortunate enough to travel Business or First Class on a regular basis....may be thinking - so what, but to us cattle class travelers this is pretty special. And I can say it made the 14 hour flight soooooo much easier. Extra big seats with more room between the rows, foot rests, individual entertainment screens etc and super service with a smile. I was offered champagne or orange juice almost as quick as my bum hit the seat and the drinks kept flowing freely. Nicer food, better presentation and service of food and drinks by a very attentive hostess, made this flight so much better than others I've had.

Something weird happened at Johannesburg airport - I got through without clearing customs. You know how when you arrive in a country you have to get your bags scanned and /or opened and checked - well it just didn't happen.

I did the passport check and then collected my bag from the carousel before heading in the direction of the sign indicating the direction to go if you have items to declare. I am carrying foodstuff in the way of energy supplements and hydration mixes, so figured I should declare these. Next thing I know I'm walking into the arrivals area with people lined up holding name boards to collect travelers. So I just kept walking....half expecting to be tapped on shoulder. I noticed others were doing the same. Strange, that whole bag check step was missed.

I am now at the hotel, had dinner, showered and in bed typing this and making heaps of errors because I'm shattered and dozing off as I type. So goodnight, sleep tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment