26 August 2012

Getting In The Zone

I'm now at Nairobi Airport with a three hour wait till my next flight - the last one that gets me to Kilimanjaro.

So far I have had great luck on all four flights. I'm carrying my roll on camera bag (standard cabin size) and a day pack. I've managed to get both in the overhead lockers on all flights, so none of that pushing and shoving a bag under the seat in front leaving no foot room.

Bonus on this last flight from Johannesburg to Nairobi is that I also got an entire row to myself.... bliss!

And very lucky on this flight because when checking in I was told I could only have one carry on bag weighing 8k. My camera bag was weighed in at 11k and I was asked to take some out and put in another bag.....simply not possible, all bags are chocka. The lady doing the check in seemed at a loss when I told her - can't do that. So she let me go and said I would probably get one of the carry on's taken off me when I went through the baggage check. Lucky for me the baggage check guys didn't even question it...someone's looking after me!

I spent the flight getting in the zone. First I finished the book on my iPad by Deb Denis, named Kilimanjaro: One Woman's Journey To The Roof Of Africa and Beyond.

I mentioned Deb in one of my earlier posts, she is one of the ladies who gave me a reference when I was selecting which company to climb with. I didn't actually end up going with the company she recommended. Anyway, Deb recently published a book about her climb and personal issues she was
working through at the time.

So Deb, I've finished your book and thoroughly enjoyed it. I am so looking forward to experiencing the mountain and especially sleeping in the crater. The crater camp has been a highlight I have been focusing on since I started planning my climb and your description of it has me keener than ever.

I have been following Kiliwarriors Facebook page and have seen that sometimes climbers feel strong on crater day and decide to continue to the summit and then come straight down to Mweka Camp, completely missing the crater. I am so hoping that is not suggested by my fellow climbers because the crater is really a big part of this challenge for me and I don't want to even think of missing it out!

After finishing Deb's book, I wanted to spend the rest of the flight getting in the zone, so I listened to a Creative Visualisation that Tracey Carmichael prepared for me. It's so relaxing and at the same time inspiring....thanks Tracey :)

Just as I finished this, the captain announced Mt Kilimanjaro could be seen from the right side of the plane. I was on the left but plenty of empty seats on the right so I moved over and got a clear view of her. We weren't very close so it wasn't exactly a "close up" but still a sighting with her snow capped peak glistening in the sun and a ring of clouds below the snow line.

Wow, I'm going to be on that mountain in a few days time....and to be more positive, I'm going to be standing on top of her in about 10 days time!!!!

Next question is.....will my main bag arrive in Kilimanjaro? This last flight is the leg where it is not uncommon for the passenger to arrive without any luggage. Apparently it is usually located within a few days but that could be after the climb starts. So that is why we are asked to wear our boots and carry as much of our essential gear as carry on luggage. Fingers crossed X.

No comments:

Post a Comment