26 August 2012

Arusha....One Step Away From Kilimanjaro

Arrived in Arusha with all my luggage....yeeeah that worry is over.

I'm almost there and can feel the pull of Kilimanjaro.

I arrived at Kilimanjaro Airport last night and was met by Wilbert who is one of the owners of Kiliwarriors. His wife was also at the airport and she was going to wait for my two fellow climbers who were scheduled to arrive 30 minutes after me.

Wilbert drove me to the Mount Meru Hotel where I am to stay three nights before my climb.

Driving in Africa is always interesting to say the least. Driving at night adds a little more to the mix and it's a certain way to shock the senses into waking up after a long day of travel.

I was hoping to meet my two fellow climbers, Nick Kumar and Seth Lefkowitz, but looks like I'll have to wait.

The Mount Meru Hotel is very nice  and I settle in for my two day stay.

Today I asked the tour desk person to organise a tour for me of the town. It turned out to be more of a personal driver than a guided tour - bu that was okay. He took me to the local Museum and Cultural Markets but rather than actually guiding me, he sat in the car and waited whilst I looked around inside.

The highlight was a visit to The Central Markets - these being the ones the locals shop at. My driver, Frank, pulled into a parking space at the markets and we were immediately - like before he could even negotiate the parking - surrounded by a group of young guys trying to get my attention. Frank selected one to be my guide of the markets. It turns out he has selected his younger brother, Guideon.

Anyway, Guideon gave me a great tour of the markets and here are some photos;

























No comments:

Post a Comment